header image

New York Farm Bureau 2023 Thanksgiving Market Basket Survey

Informal survey reflects a nearly 6% price jump over 2022

New York Farm Bureau’s 2023 Market Basket Survey shows the price of a traditional Thanksgiving dinner saw a small increase compared to last year's meal. The average total price, which includes a 16-pound turkey and other common items found on a holiday dinner table, is $70.70, or about a six-percent increase over last year’s price.

Our volunteer shoppers recorded prices across the state between Nov. 5-10 and found turkey prices averaged $2.12 per pound, which is 23 cents per pound more than last year’s average price in this informal survey. This price is higher than the national average of $1.71/lb. As we move closer to Thanksgiving, turkey prices may drop in the stores, reflecting sales in the final days before the holiday. 

The New York numbers reveal price increases over last year in some additional categories, including pumpkin pie mix and frozen green peas, but it also shows some price decreases in other items like whipping cream and fresh cranberries.

The Northeast was the highest region in the country for food prices based on the national American Farm Bureau Market Basket survey, largely attributed to the higher costs of transportation, labor, and other inputs. Despite those increases, very little of what a customer pays trickles down to the farmer. Agricultural costs are only about 14% of the total food price with the other 86% attributed to things like packaging, marketing, and labor.

On the positive side, the price increases are far less than experienced last year when prices had jumped 26% from 2021. It is also important to put the cost into context. At $7.07 per person for a family of 10, New Yorkers still enjoy one of the most affordable food supplies in the world. 

This survey is one of the responsibilities of the NYFB State Promotion and Education Committee and is part of the national effort with the American Farm Bureau Federation. AFBF’s 38th annual informal national price survey found the average national cost of this year’s feast is $61.17, or $9.53 less than New York’s number. This is, in part, attributed to the competitive nature of grocery store markets and perhaps better promotional pricing in other regions of the country. More information about the national survey can be found at www.fb.org.

“New Yorkers continue to see prices creep up at the grocery stores, though at a much smaller pace than the previous couple of years. One thing they can count on is that our food supply remains strong, despite the inflationary pressure.  Farmers understand this challenge.  Input costs to produce food remain high as well, but farmers and farmworkers are doing all they can to grow the best food in the most efficient way possible to help New Yorkers put food on their tables this holiday season and year-round,” said Bill Zalakar, Long Island farmer and chair of the New York Farm Bureau Promotion and Education Committee.

New York Farm Bureau encourages shoppers to compare prices to find the best deals, including using in-store apps to find coupons. It is also a good idea to explore store brands and frozen options that may be cheaper than fresher alternatives.




Market Basket Survey Comparison

2023 Average Price

2022 Average Price

Frozen, Self-Basting Turkey 16 lb.



Herb-seasoned cube stuffing 14oz.



Enriched Brown & Serve Rolls 12 oz./12 per pkg.



Gallon of Whole Milk



Frozen Green Peas 16oz. pkg.



Libby’s Pumpkin Pie Mix 30oz. can



9 in. frozen pie shell



Whipping Cream ½ pint carton



Carrot/Celery Veggie Tray



Sweet Potatoes 3 lb.



Package of Fresh Cranberries



Miscellaneous Ingredients



Classic Thanksgiving Total




New York Farm Bureau does not make any statistical claims about the survey data, but it is a useful gauge of price trends across New York and the country for shoppers who look to compare prices.



New York Farm Bureau is the State’s largest agricultural lobbying/trade organization. Its members and the public know the organization as “The Voice of New York Agriculture.” New York Farm Bureau’s mission is “Supporting today’s agricultural needs and creating member opportunities for tomorrow through advocacy and education.”